solicitors for you.
- Residential Conveyancing
- House Sales & Purchases
- Mortgage & Re-mortgage
- Part Exchange
- Transfer of Ownership
- Transfer of Equity
- Boundary Disputes
- Landlord & Tenant Disputes
- Declaration of Trust Deed
- Lease Extensions
- Flats & Apartments
- New Build Properties
- Right to Buy Schemes
- Buy to Let Sales & Purchases
solicitors for business.
Solicitors Hourly Rate and Experience
Solicitor Year Qualified Years Since Qualification Hourly Rate (£) Supervisors Supervisor Year Qualified Supervisor Years Since Qualified Nicola Fairhurst 2004 14 215.00 Stephen Hodgson 1985 33 Karl Wilson 1990 28 215.00 Paul Ridehalgh 1985 33 Lisa Clark 2006 12 215.00 Peter Hine 1983 35 Richard Ainsworth 1994 24 215.00 Stephen Hodgson 1985 33 Michelle Dale 2013 5 195.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Lorna Pound 1988 30 215.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Rebecca Alexander 2018 0 175.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Eric Gardner 1976 42 215.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 215.00 Richard Ainsworth 1994 24 Paul Ridehalgh (Complaints Manager) 1985 33 215.00 Karl Wilson 1990 28 Paul Margey 1990 28 215.00 Richard Ainsworth 1994 24 Joanne Fong 1991 27 215.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Katy Rider 2018 0 175.00 Karl Wilson 1990 28 Chartered Institute of Legal Executives Kirsty Donlon 2009 9 195.00 Stephen Hodgson 1985 33 Rebecca Harrison 2010 8 175.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Licensed Conveyencer Jenni Shoreman 2005 13 195.00 Richard Ainsworth 1994 24 Para-Legals Julie Flynn n/a n/a 160.00 Karl Wilson 1990 28 John Hunter n/a n/a 160.00 Richars Ainsworth 1994 24 Amanda Winder n/a n/a 160.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Michelle Crook n/a n/a 120.00 Richard Ainsworth 1994 24 Rebecca Scudamore n/a n/a 160.00 Helen Gaskell 2007 11 Kim Antrobus n/a n/a 160.00 Karl Wilson 1990 28 Trainee Solicitors Jessica Shacklock n/a n/a 120.00 Sahida Ahmed 1998 20 Lauren Townson n/a n/a 120.00 Sahida Ahmed 1998 20 Nicola Mills n/a n/a 120.00 Sahida Ahmed 1998 20
Debt Collection up to 100k
Debt Collection Fees Price Pre Action
Company to Company
Reviewing paperwork – drafting letter before action and updating client with any response received
£75.00 + VAT Company to Individual or
Individual to Individual
Obtaining instructions – review paperwork provided by client – drafting letter before action and Providing client with any response received
Any further work conducted under the pre action protocol is charged at the hourly rate including Negotiations with the debtor and arranging a payment plan if debtor unable to pay debt in full And client’s will be given a costs estimate of any further costs that are likely to be incurred at that Stage.
If the matter cannot be settled and court proceedings have to be issued then fees are as follows:-
£150.00 + VAT Issue of Court Proceedings
For preparing and issuing claim form including drafting particulars of claim and updating client Following issue of court proceedings.
£225 + VAT
If the defendant does not file an Acknowledgment of Service and/or Defence within the relevant Timeframe as set out by the Court then completing Request for Judgment and filing this with the Court and obtaining Judgment in Default
If the claim is defended then the hourly charge will apply to all further work undertaken thereafter and client’s will be given a costs estimate of any further costs that are likely to be incurred at that stage. (See hourly rates on our solicitors hourly rate section)
£75.00 + VAT Court Fees (Disbursements) Value of Claim Fee payable
Court Issued Claim
Up to £300 £35 Greater than £300 but no more than £500 £50 Greater than £500 but no more than £1,000 £70 Greater than £1,000 but no more than £1,500 £80 Greater than £1,500 but no more than £3,000 £115 Greater than £3,000 but no more than £5,000 £205 Greater than £5,000 but no more than £10,000 £455 Greater than £10,000 but no more than £15,000 5% of the value of the claim Greater than £15,000 but no more than £50,000 Greater than £50,000 but no more than £100,000
Wills, Probate and Lasting Powers of Attorney Fees
Type of Work Price Disbursements WILLS Basic Wills £175 plus VAT (single)
£275 plus VAT (pair on mirror terms)
n/a Wills including right to occupy trust and Severance £450 plus VAT (single)
£650 plus VAT (pair on mirror terms)
n/a Will leaving residue on discretionary Trust £500 plus VAT (single)
£750 plus VAT (pair on mirror terms)
n/a Notice of Severance £50 plus VAT n/a LASTING POWERS OF ATTORNEY* Lasting Power of Attorney (single) £400 plus VAT £82 Registration fee to Office of the Public Guardian (or less if remission/exemption applicable) Lasting Power of Attorney (husband and wife) £600 plus VAT £82 Registration fee to Office of the Public Guardian for each document = £164 (or less if remission/exemption applicable) Lasting Power of Attorney for both Finances and Welfare (single) £600 plus VAT £82 Registration fee to Office of the Public Guardian for each document = £164 (or less if remission/exemption applicable) Lasting Power of Attorney for both Finances and Welfare (husband and wife) £1000 plus VAT £82 Registration fee to Office of the Public Guardian for each document = £328 (or less if remission/exemption applicable) Registration of Enduring Power of Attorney £500 plus VAT £82 Registration fee to Office of the Public Guardian (or less if remission/exemption applicable) PROBATE – GRANT ONLY IHT 205 £750 plus VAT £155 Probate Registry court fee IHT 205 including IHT 217 £1000 plus VAT £155 Probate Registry court fee IHT 400 £1500 plus VAT £155 Probate Registry court fee Updating HM Land Registry with DJP £50 plus VAT n/a
PROBATE FULL ADMINISTRATION SERVICE
- Obtain valuations of all assets and liabilities passing by the will or intestacy and assets or gifts included for Inheritance Tax purposes
- Obtain information to finalise the income tax position to date of death
- Complete form IHT205/IHT400
- Complete Oath for Executors
- Complete s 27 notices to creditors (if required)
- Take instructions regarding the encashment or transfer of assets
- Register the Grant of Probate with each of the asset holding institutions
- Collect in the cash of the estate and transfer assets as instructed
- Complete income tax return for the administration period
- Complete estate accounts
- Obtain approval to estate accounts from Executors
- Complete bankruptcy searches against beneficiaries
We charge on a time-spent basis for this type of work. The exact costs for this service depend on the individual circumstances in the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple assets, beneficiaries and a property, costs will be at the higher end. An average estate with a property to be sold can usually be administered in between 20 and 30 hours. At Marsden Rawsthorn we have a large Wills, Trusts and Probate team with a varying degree of expertise and experience which means that we can deliver the most cost efficient service to you. As a guide, 20 to 30 hours could equate to between £3,500 and £6,500 plus VAT and disbursements. The usual disbursements incurred include:
- Probate application fee £155
- Each additional copy Grant £1 (per copy)
- £7 Swearing of the Oath fee (per executor)
- Bankruptcy searches £2 (per beneficiary)
As a guide time-line, if Inheritance Tax is due on an estate, the IHT needs to be paid within 6 months from the date of death. It can tax anything from 12 months to 3 years to administer a large estate If HMRC investigate the valuations submitted. If the estate is not taxable, if there is a house to sell then it may take between 4 and 18 months to administer the estate. These are just guidelines and a lot of variables are involved.
Wills, Probate and Lasting Powers of Attorney Fees
Any Inheritance Tax or other taxes that may be due will be payable separately. You may find guidance and information on HMRC website useful: https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax
* If instructions for Lasting Powers of Attorney are given at the same time as Will instructions, a 10% reduction on the usual fixed fee for the Lasting Powers of Attorney will apply.
PRICE LIST – EMPLOYMENT POLICIES, UNFAIR DISMISSAL/DISCRIMINATION PROCEDURES & CONTRACTS
DOCUMENTS Price Full complete staff handbook, including a basic Section 1 Statement, Junior Employment Contract – Senior Employment Contract - Senior (long form) Employment Contract £1750 + VAT MINIMUM POLICIES & PROCEDURES WE RECOMMEND FOR ALL BUSINESSES Disciplinary Rules & Procedures £100 + VAT Grievance Procedure £100 + VAT Ant-Harassment & Bullying £100 + VAT Health & Safety (5 or more employees) £100 + VAT Equal Opportunities £100 + VAT Sickness Absence £100 + VAT Whistleblowing £100 + VAT Data Protection £100 + VAT Anti-Bribery £100 + VAT GDPR Employee Policy £100 + VAT CONTRACTS OF EMPLOYMENT Section 1 statement £200 + VAT Contract of Employment – Junior Employee £300 + VAT Contract of Employment – Senior Employee £500 + VAT Contract of Employment – Senior Employee (long form) £600 + VAT UNFAIR DISMISSAL/DISCRIMINATION Our pricing for bringing or defending claims for unfair dismissal/discrimination (excluding Counsel’s fees) Simple case £5,000 to £,7500 + VAT Medium complexity case £7,500 to £9,000 + VAT High complexity case Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
£12,000 to £15,000 + VAT
We are committed to providing a high quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
Our Complaints Procedure
If you have a complaint, contact us with details. We will acknowledge receipt of all complaints within 3 working days.
What will happen next?
- The details will be handed to Paul Ridehalgh, the Client Care Director within 3 days of it being received in the office. A note of your complaint will be made in our Central Register who will write to you with an acknowledgement.
- Paul Ridehalgh will pass the details to the Head of the Department involved for them to investigate by considering the papers and discussing it with the member of staff about whom you complained. This investigation will take approximately 4 weeks. If your complaint relates to the Director supervising the Department then the investigation will be carried out by another Director.
- Within those 4 weeks the Director will then write to you to confirm the investigations and agree a way forward. It is hoped the complaint can be concluded to your satisfaction at this point.
- If the complaint cannot be resolved at this time, Paul Ridehalgh will take over investigation of the complaint and you will have the opportunity to meet with him to discuss your concerns.
- Within 5 days of any meeting Paul Ridehalgh will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions he has agreed with you, or in the absence of an agreement during any such meeting or if you do not request a meeting, he will consider your concerns afresh and will make a final decision and confirm this to you in writing within 4 weeks.
- At this time if you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Legal Ombudsman about your complaint. The Legal Ombudsman is unlikely to accept a complaint within 8 weeks of you notifying us of your dissatisfaction. You must contact them within 6 months of your last contact with us. The Ombudsman’s contact details are as follows: PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ (Tel: 0300 555 0333) or at www. legalombudsman.org.uk
Stay in Touch
Stay in touch and up to date with our new focus newsletter
Events and Seminars