Wills and Probate

All you need to know about the Court of Protection

Court of protection what you need to know

There are times in our lives when matters are taken out of our control.

A loved one may lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs. This can be due to many reasons, old age, mental illness, a severe learning disability, stroke, accident, or injury.

If your loved one at that time has not made
a Lasting Power of Attorney then, no one will legally be able to manage day-to-day running of their affairs on their behalf.

This includes making decisions on a person’s property and financial affairs and at times, decisions regarding their health and welfare.

How can I act on behalf of that person?

To be appointed to act on behalf of that person who now lacks mental capacity, you would need to make
an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed as their deputy.

A deputy can be a family member, friend or professional and they have a duty to act in the person’s best
interests by managing and protecting the assets of that person.

What can a deputy do?

The deputy can make decisions regarding the sale, letting or management of a person’s property.

They can access the person’s money in their bank/savings account to pay their household bills and/or care fees, if required.

They can also access their money to ensure the person has sufficient personal spending monies and purchase any items they require, such as clothing.

The application process

The application process is quite lengthy (over several months) and there will be lots of information
required for the initial application forms.

An assessment of capacity is required by a professional in order
to confirm to the court whether the person does lack mental capacity to manage their own affairs.

We, as a firm, can apply to be appointed as a professional deputy on behalf of the person who lacks

We would then take on the day-to-day management of their property and financial affairs. This allows you to concentrate on providing them with the loving care and attention, without the stress and time consumed in the application and ongoing management.

There are a couple of further areas to mention regarding the Court of Protection:-

Statutory wills

A deputy cannot make a will for the person who lacks capacity, however they
may identify that the person does not have one in place or that what they do have requires
updating (for example, a beneficiary’s circumstances have changed.

For inheritance tax planning, you can make an application to the Court of Protection for a statutory will.

Jointly held property

If a jointly held property is required to be sold or transferred then a separate court application will need to be made in order to appoint a trustee of the jointly held property to facilitate any sale or transfer.

This is the case, even when the person has a deputy already appointed on their behalf.

Here to help

As these circumstances can happen unexpectedly and this time will be extremely stressful and upsetting, please feel free to get in touch with one of our team who can guide you through the process.

We are a friendly, approachable, sympathetic team with a wealth of knowledge in this area and are ready to answer your questions and queries and assist with any applications that
need to be made.

Please call to speak with the Wills, Trusts and Probate Team on 01772 799 600

Latest News

Services for You

Services for Business

Get a Conveyance Quote

Need a quote for a residential conveyancing transaction? Try our quick and easy residential conveyancing calculator;

Pay your bill online

Easily pay your bill with us online through our payment portal. Secure and quick card payments through our payment provider World Pay.

Stay in Touch

Stay in touch and up to date with our new focus newsletter

    Man using a laptop to access Marsden Rawsthorn's website

    Contact Us

    Please complete the contact form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

    Office Addresses

    3-4 Faraday Court
    Faraday Drive,
    PR2 9NB
    Opening Hours: Monday - Friday:
    9:00am to 5:00pm
    Office 21a,
    Strawberry Fields Digital Hub,
    Euxton Lane,
    PR7 1PS
    Opening Hours: Monday - Friday:
    9:00am to 5:00pm